Wednesday, February 25, 2009

EMT Weekend

This weekend I had the pleasure of working three events. The first event on Saturday was for the Arizona Senior Olympics. I was there for the track events. I was amazed at the ages (50-94) and the athletic ability of these folks. They ran from 50 yard dashes through 1650 yard run.
I had a great time meeting these seniors and listening to there stories. I was also impressed with a few of the volunteers that were there to help. These volunteers were from the local high school. It was great fun watching them realise that life did not end at twenty. The best part was when a few of the high school girls admitted to me their disappointment that "the EMT was not hot ". The Senior Olympians responded to them that I was the hottest EMT they have ever seen.
Made me smile. I guess it is all about perspective.
I finished with the seniors at one and then on to the Paintball Championships at two.
This was a very different event in terms of power and aggressiveness. There were not to many shooters over 30 (and you should have seen the welts after they were finished "OUCH"). Though when you looked at both groups in terms of competitiveness they were the same. They all worked hard, they all wanted to win. Though the Paintball games were a bit messier. Showers of fine colored mist would fly over my head. Slow moving paint balls would fly around, some exploding, some bouncing off my shoes. It was a colorful day.
My second day was spent with the Senior Olympians again. This time the Swimming Events.
It was a beautiful day by the pool. I again was amazed at the athletic ability of these folks. Some of the seniors could barley walk. Oh, but to see them in the water. They were young again, they could move as if they were children. I could truly see the years disappear.
Best of all ,with three events, there were only two injuries, just bumps and abrasions. I think I have one of the only jobs where you study, practice, and take classes to better your skills, only to hope you never have to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment